There are a few facts and beliefs that suggest that you are radiant.
First of all, everyone is made of stardust – your very composite nature is heavenly. Health wise, you would get pretty sick if you did not get any sunlight and vitamin D. And according to the Shambhala lineage of Buddhism, everyone has a basic goodness that shines through like the Sun always shining behind the clouds. And if many of the metaphysically channeled materials of the last 30 years are correct, you are a spiritual non-physical LIGHT-being currently having a physical experience.
You can let your light shine through in your day-to-day experiences and relationships.
During physical incarnation everyone does things that they are proud of and things that they are not so proud of, but remember as you delve in the work of self-discovery to always be truthful to yourself and to be gentle. Beating yourself up in any way diminishes your lovely divine light. Everyone who comes here intends to grow and evolve spiritually. Imperfection is fine along the path to enlightenment. If you had nothing to work through, you would not be here.
True self-awareness of one’s strengths and weaknesses can be difficult to pin down or to get a glimmer of because we forget things so easily or exaggerate and distort memories. While I promise you that you are a beautiful light in this world, some people have difficulty identifying evidence of their radiance. They just don’t keep good enough track of the shining moments in their lives, while many are good at telling and retelling the stories of the darker moments that have happened. A healthy self-image records a more balanced record of who you are including your light and shadow parts. The first step to shining is developing a record of mindful and accurate awareness about the patterns that emerge in your thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and communication.
How do you Shimmer or Dimmer?
I would like to propose that you become an anthropologist in your own life: witnessing and documenting there various ways that you let your inner light shimmer or become a little bit dimmer. You will need a tool to help you start gathering data on yourself. The purpose of this data is to be used in understanding yourself better, recognizing and appreciating your strengths, and clarifying your weaknesses to make decisions about areas of your life you would like to improve.
Begin developing a daily practice of recording in a journal answers to the questions below. It is ok if you don’t get to do this every day, but the more regularly you do this, the greater data you will gather on yourself. When you are doing this, try to think of examples from your current day, though past examples may need to be addressed in this manner repeatedly to be processed. It is ok if what you are reflecting on happened in the recent or distant past. The point is to look for examples of your positive (shimmer) or negative (dimmer) behaviors so you can learn more about yourself.
Witness How You Showed Your Shimmer
- Begin by priming the mind by spending a few minutes thinking about an instance during the day (or past) when you responded positively to a situation or to another person. It helps if the outcome was seen by you as satisfying.
- Complete this sentence, “Things that made me happy about the above situation (or interaction)…”
- Then complete this sentence, “Based on how I handled the above situation, my strengths are…” This gives you a running tab of evidence of all your awesome strengths and ways you SHINE!
- Start noticing patterns. Are you good at saying kind things to people? Are you brave in facing fearful circumstances? What good traits keep coming up in your thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and communication? Start connecting the constellations of your brilliance.
- You could also write about something you experienced today that was positive, then maybe consider wishing that other people could enjoy something similar. Maybe send the feeling of experiencing the nice circumstance to someone in particular. Practicing gratitude and then sharing it is good for helping you develop a sunnier disposition as you realize all the nice things in your life and feel wonderful sharing the energy of those things with others.
Witness How You Let Your Light Become a Little Dimmer
- Now, prime the mind for a few minutes thinking about a time (during the current day or in the past) when you responded negatively to a situation or another person and did not get a positive outcome.
- Complete the following sentences, “Things that annoy me about the above situation are…” and “Based on how I handled the above situation, my weaknesses are…”
- Also consider writing about how you might improve future similar situations or work on addressing your weaknesses. Maybe come up with some action steps that you can take. It is ok if you are not ready to address a particular weakness of problem. Just kindly noticing your negative patterns is the first step towards personal development.
- You could also just write about something you experienced today that was negative that you were not able to resolve completely. You could really connect to the feelings of others who are suffering in a similar way and wish them relief. When we share the energy of relief from suffering, we connect to others in a compassionate way that boosts the LIGHT we put into the world.
By recording information about your thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and communication every day, you can begin to gather evidence of your positive and negative patterns over time. You can see how things repeat, evolve, or change. Writing it down is better that just noticing it in the moment and hoping to remember the insight for a later time. Record what happens and what you learn from your experiences as a concrete developmental guide for yourself. When you feel down, review all the instances when your shimmered, showing your awesome inner light. When you encounter a dimmer circumstance that makes you feel a familiar frustration, look back on the past patterns for improvement opportunities that are under your control. Start noticing the brilliant moments when you overcome negative patterns. Notice the areas that you just aren’t ready to fix yet. Through documentation in a journal, start witnessing your growth at whatever pace is in your highest good.
Overtime, you will start to get a more complete picture of your inner LIGHT and the areas in your life that you use a bit more illumination. What a glorious bit of stardust you will become!